Wednesday 30 September 2015

The Water of Life, clay, paint, wax, 20cm tall

The Singing Bones exhibition is now up and running at No Vacancy Gallery in Melbourne CBD, featuring over 70 sculptural works, prints, large wall doodles, a pool of salt, and you can buy the book there too. Many thanks to the gallery staff and Allen & Unwin for their enthusiastic assistance, it's all come together well. It runs until October 18, and given that many of the works are for sale, this will probably be the only time that all complete original pieces are shown together after languishing in a towering shoebox pile, mercifully removed from my front room! For more info, contact No Vacancy: nadia@no-vacancy.com.au

You can also hear me talking with Michael Cathcart about The Singing Bones on the ABC's Books and Arts Daily.

6 comments:

  1. As a Californian I appreciate that his cup is larger than his spout .Love all of these sculptures and their echos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shuan - Hope you don't mind, I'm going to use your art work as inspiration for my class in school. I am in the UK so will try to order your book through Allen and Unwin. do you think that's my best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's the best. I have a UK publisher too but imagine the book will be available there only after several months; the Oz edition is the only one meanwhile. I did imagine this book to be a good one for creative writing actually, given the stories are deliberately absent, only suggestions and clues provided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. I will get on the case. I like the simpleness of the sculptures. We will be doing an integrated unit, using your sculptures as inspiration to create their own sculptures. From these (the sculptures they create) we will then do some writing. Thank you for continuing with your work. On a separate note...As an illustrator myself (starting out) I do wonder sometimes that the longer you do something the more critical of your own work you become and so therefor in some way it gets harder...or no easier anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty much! I think it does get easier overall, because confidence improves (incrementally), but at the same time self-criticism remains about the same. It's both a bad and good thing. I notice that it creeps in around age 11 or 12, and then stays rather constant, so it's important to teach kids that it's as much a positive as negative influence.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.